Cardamom, Oatmeal and Okara Bars
This recipe is an experiement that turned out very well . I started out from the Barres ÉnerJo recipe from Ricardo. First, I switched some of the cereals and seeds for stuff I had lying around. I was also finishing up a soy milk recipe, so I removed some of the cereals and a bit of the liquid and used the okara instead. This recipe is easy to adapt to what you have on hand, but try to find the cardamon : it adds an heavenly smell to the bars.
Ingredients (Yield : about 20 bars)
40 oatmeal squares cereals
2 cups of quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup of wheat germ
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
1 teaspoon of cardamon pods, ground
4 teaspoons of flax seeds, ground
2 teaspoons of chia seeds, ground
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds, ground
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of soy milk or cow’s milk
1 cup of fresh okara
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Put the oatmeal squares in a large bowl and smash them a few times with a potato masher to break them in small pieces.
- Add the oatmeal, wheat germ, baking powder, spices, grounds seeds and salt in the bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, milk, okara and oil. Pour it in the big bowl with the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the chocolate and the raisins and mix again.
- Pour the batter in a pan, spreading it evenly. I used two pans, one 8″ X 8″ and one 8″ X 4″.
- Cook at 350 F for 35 to 40 minutes. When the mix has cooled enough, cut in bars. This recipe freeze well if the bars don’t disappear within 3 days…